Personal | Feeling #Blessed This 2016

7:58 PM

2016 was a sh***y year for me and for the whole world. It took away a lot of our favorites such as Alan Rickman, David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, and Carrie Fisher. Then, we had controversial elections (both in the US and Philippines), crazy governments, bombings, and many more chaotic situations.

I also had a fair share of unfortunate things in 2016. My health was going haywire and I had more doctors’ visits than normal. Nothing serious, but it was a big concern because it just means that I have to watch out for my health now. I also had a problem with work, to the point that I felt like a robot going in and out of the office every day. In short, everything was so disorganized.

Despite all the bad stuff 2016 gave us, I try my best to look back and focus on its happy things. As I did that, I realized the last 12 months weren’t so bad after all and I think I can consider myself #blessed. So, as I countdown the few hours to 2017, I smile and remember the things that made me feel #blessed this 2016.

January - Discovered my love for arts and crafts.

2016 is the start of my love for arts and crafts. I started doing some mini projects on my own and having more interest in office supplies. Discovering this new love helps explore my artistic side.





February - Two of our close college friends, Matt and Barbie, got married.  

Matt and Barbie are our college friends and they finally got married last February 20, 2016. Even if we don’t see each other much, we make it a point to still keep in touch and be friends for a long time. I’m happy for their union and look forward to spending more time with them.


March - Celebrating our 11th anniversary as a couple.

Marc and I went through a lot yet we love each other now more than ever. 11 years of love, friendship, happiness, sadness, ups, downs, geekiness, humor, kalokohan, and more. I am really thankful for this guy, who is patient with the crazy me. ❤️ Thank you for believing in me when I didn't. ☺️ Thank you for always being there for me, no matter what. :)

A photo posted by Erin Joan (@hainrihi) on



April - Attending a convention after a brief hiatus.

Attending NexCon 2016 made me realize that I miss attending pop culture and anime conventions, as well as cosplaying. We went as normal congoers and enjoyed looking at the merchandise and listening to the talks, especially that of Encantadia.


A photo posted by Erin Joan (@hainrihi) on


May - First time attending the company team building. Two years in the present job

After two years in my present job, I finally attended the company team building! It’s my first time doing so and saw how fun it was. The event took place in Laiya, Batangas. It was nice to relax and look at the beach after the activities. Plus, it was a good way to celebrate my two years in the office. Next goal: three years! :)


A photo posted by Erin Joan (@hainrihi) on

June - Malaysia with Gabrielle, Ate, and Olivier

After a hectic first part of 2016, I decided to take a week-long vacation in Malaysia with my older sister, her husband, and her daughter. I also went around some parts of Kuala Lumpur. It was also my first time riding their public transportation. Basically, I just had a relaxing vacation where I was able to re-energize my mind and body.



July -The start of our mini business, Gate of #Yuetsu. Debuted it at Blush Con.

After much thinking, Rina, Lia, and I decided to create our mini-business, Gate of #Yuetsu. We are a group of 3 artists who got together to share our creations with various customers. All of us have our own favorite fandoms and we show our love for them through arts and crafts. We debuted  Gate of #Yuetsu at Blush Con last July 9, 2016. We are still in the experimenting process, but we hope to make this passion bigger. While we’re at it, please like our Gate of #Yuetsu Facebook page! :D


August - Seeing international stars, having a picture C.B. Cebulski, and cosplaying Peggy Carter in APCC.

One of the great things I loved this 2016 is seeing international stars who rarely come to our country. Thanks to Asia Pop Comic Con (APCC), I was able to see Nicholas Hoult (Young Beast in X-Men) and Joe Dempsie (Gendry in Game of Thrones) in person. In addition, I was able to have the rare opportunity to take a photo with Marvel’s Senior Vice President of Creative & Creator Development, C.B. Cebulski. And lastly, I finally cosplayed Peggy Carter. Hayley Atwell may not have arrived in APCC, but I am still happy to have cosplayed one of my female role models.




September - Wedding of Joy and Jayson in Tagaytay. Reuniting our high school barkada.  

One of the events that I was looking forward in 2016 was the wedding of our high school friend, Joy. Since she and Jayson got married in Tagaytay, we stayed there for three days and two nights. We haven’t seen each other for a long time because three friends are working abroad (including Joy). So this wedding was an opportunity to both relax and catch up with my high school friends of 16 years. Yes, 16 years wooohoo! :D







Next year, I look forward to seeing them again because one of my high school friends is getting married---in Tagaytay again! XD

October - Attended blog events.  

This post would not be complete without being thankful for having more blog exposure. For September to October, I attended two blog events: the Dearberry Bloggers Launch and 7 Flavors Buffet and A La Carte Restaurant Media Review. These two events gave me the opportunity to meet fellow bloggers and expose my blog in the community. My blog is growing and I am happy for what it has become.

Oh and another blessing I got for this month is I now have my own domain: http://www.hainrihisdiscoveries.com/ :D


November - The release of Final Fantasy XV

Oh yes, I consider this a blessing because I have been waiting for a long time to play Final Fantasy XV. In fact, this was delayed for two months, as it was supposed to be released in September. But Square Enix said that there were some changes, so the release was moved to November 29.

I was very happy to finally get my hands on this because it has been a long time since I played a Final Fantasy game. I’m already finished with it and might do a review about it. Overall, I’m happy with the game. If I have more free time, I’ll play it again and finish some stuff that I wasn’t able to do before.


December - Celebrating Christmas together with my family after a long time of not doing it

It has been a long time since I spent Christmas with my family. This year, I did that and I am happy. :) Nuff said.



Additional Blessings

My Cosplay Barkada

2016 is the year that I really confirmed who my true friends are. Aside from my high school barkada, I have my cosplay friends to thank for. They were there throughout all the rough times that I experienced. We always deal with stress by going gaga over our fandoms or having cosplay shoots. I will always cherish them in my heart. :)




My Office Friends

This is also the year I appreciated my officemates more. I think we got closer this year and I’m thankful to have known wonderful people who make my work life less stressful. They are one of the reasons why I will be staying at my present company for a long time. I am happy to have them in my life.


A photo posted by Erin Joan (@hainrihi) on

Looking Forward to 2017

1. More challenges that will improve my well-being.

2. Watching my health and doing some exercises.

3. Exploring my artistic side.

4. New chapters with my friends.

5. Spending more time with my high school, college, and cosplay friends.

6. More growth in my career.

7. More camaraderie amongst my officemates.

8. More blog growth and exposure.

9. Spending more time with my family.

10. Lastly, more explorations and challenges for Marc and I, so we can grow our relationship further. ;)

Bring it on, 2017! :)

~ Hainrihi

What are the things that made you feel #blessed this 2016? Share your thoughts in the comments section below. You can also reach me via FacebookTwitter, and Instagram.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

My Blog List