Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

9:14 AM


It All Ends.7.14

After watching "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" two days in a row, I have finally come to accept that, indeed, it has ended.  And, growing up with the book and the movies, I'd say it was a great way to end it all.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" is the continuation of where Part 1 left last year: Harry, Ron and Hermione continue their quest in looking for the remaining four Hocruxes in order to destroy Lord Voldemort. As they journey towards this quest, Hogwarts is no longer the haven for students as Snape is the new Headmaster and Death Eaters are taking over. The Battle in Hogwarts begins and Harry and his friends must do everything to destroy evil.

The final installment is no longer a children's movie, but rather a war movie. Gone are the days where Harry, Hermione, Ron and their friends are facing the world with innocence and immaturity.  In this movie, they are surrounded by chaos and evil and are looking for the four remaining Hocruxes to kill Lord Voldemort.  No more happy classes with students, no more friendly spiders and giants, and nobody is spared.  Here, you see students getting injured, your favorite and lovable characters dying, Hogwarts being destroyed and in rubble, and everyone of all ages are fighting to keep evil from ruling over good.  For the last time, the battle of good and evil is happening.  For the parents and other people who read the book, you know what I mean.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" is also a very emotional movie where you will feel a LOT of emotions throughout the whole two hours and ten minutes. For one thing, even though I brought a pack of tissue, I still wasn't prepared for the tear-jerking moments the movie presented.  I won't tell what scenes they were for the sake of those who haven't watched it, but remember to bring tissue or hankerchief.  There was even a scene there that I had to take off my glasses because I was continuously crying.  

Aside from that, you'll feel almost all emotions here: laughing at the comedic moments, fear for the suspense and battle scenes, anger for Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters, swoon on the romantic moments, nostalgia over flashbacks, and cheering and being happy on the victories (whether unexpected or not).  After the movie, just like I did, you will feel like you want to relive those emotions again just so you can accept that the Harry Potter series is over.  It's a movie full of emotions that you'll feel you are part of everything that is happening in it.


In terms of cinematography and effects, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" has done a great job making everything real.  I haven't watched the 3D version yet, but watching it in regular screening was already a great experience.  The special effects were so great that you wouldn't think they did those on green screens. I just found that out when I watched the Harry Potter special in Larry King, and how they did everything---from the battle to reconstructing Ralph Fiennes' face---were truly magical.  I might watch it again, this time in 3D, just to experience Harry Potter in 3D for the first time ever.

Here's a bit of a reminder though.  If there's one thing I learned from watching the Harry Potter movies, it's that I should never expect the movie to be EXACTLY the same as the book.  David Yates, David Heyman and Steve Kloves have said that in Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2, they stayed more loyal to the book than previous movies.  Don't take this too literally though as there are scenes that are different from the book or are not even there.  But never worry though, BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.  They did justice to those scenes and made it great to the point that you will be emotional all over again.  I read the book before watching for the reason that I can understand more about Part 2, but never expected the movie to be exactly like it.  As a result, I was never disappointed. In fact, I was happy because they did a better job in the movie.

After more than 10 years of growing up with Harry Potter and his friends, I finally accepted that it has all ended.  I don't know with you, but if you are a huge fan, watching it more than once is one way to accept that the Harry Potter series has indeed ended.  When I watched it the first time, I didn't want to leave the theater and could not accept that it's over. But after the second time, I finally accepted it.  It's a good way to end a decade of love, friendship, good vs. evil, journeying and discovering the great aspects of life.  Nobody could ask for anything more.


As a conclusion, I would like to say what any Harry Potter fan would say:

Thank you to JK Rowling and Harry Potter for making my growing up years extra special with your adventures and for teaching us the values of friendship, love and the good aspects of life.  My love for Harry Potter will not end with this last movie, that I know.  There will still be more Potter adventures to look forward to (Pottermore.com anyone?). This is one literary piece that people of all ages should learn to read, thus I will make sure my future kids will learn to read Harry Potter too.  Again, thanks for everything and hope to see more of you soon. 

All is well :)

MISCHIEF MANAGED!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It's been a great journey, indeed we have JK Rowling to thank for that. There are a lot of things to learn from the HP series, though its been classified as fantasy and has always been relegated to the kids section on bookstores, they are full of life lessons on friendship, family and what it's like to be human and how it feels to make decisions that can change other peoples' lives. I'll definitely encourage posterity to read the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Harriet Chan:

    Yes, it truly has been a great journey and JK Rowling has made it great for us. It has taught us a lot of life's lessons that we will surely remember and teach to our children. And after reading the books and watching the movies, I made a promise to myself that I will let my future children read it because they too will learn a lot from it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Blog List