Convention News | My Top Highlights for NexCon 3 Day 2 - April 3, 2016

10:56 AM

While I am still composing my review for “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (I am not that good at movie reviews), I want to share what happened last weekend. It has been a long time since I went to a pop culture and cosplay convention. So, I was very excited to attend NexCon 3, especially when I was looking forward to one of their programs (more on that later).

NexCon is already on their third year in celebrating pop culture, science fiction, fantasy, and the like. If you’re a new reader, I did a blog post about the first NexCon, saying that I was happy there is a convention dedicated to the Pinoy and Western fandom.


Since then, Marc and I decided to attend NexCon every year. In the first two years, we were in cosplay. But for this year, I was a bit lazy to cosplay and I wanted to experience NexCon as a normal congoer. NexCon was held on April 2-3, 2016 at SMX Convention Center, Function Room 5. Tickets were at P350. We went on a Sunday.


Marc and I arrived at past one in the afternoon and started roaming around. We were glad that Cosplay.ph (the organizers) got the biggest function room on the second floor of SMX because it was really spacious. Even when a lot of people were coming in, we were still able to roam around without worrying about tight spaces and bumping into other people.

Anyway, we were there until the closing. Here are my top highlights for NexCon 3, Day 2:


Booths and Hauls

One of the first things we did upon entering is roam around and look at the booths. We were supposed to complete the conquest card, but was unable to due to lack of budget lol. So, we just looked at what the booths were offering. We played a game in the 501st booth where we had to block some Nerf bullets using a lightsaber. I blocked one bullet. Yay!

We also had a picture with Geekerie shirts, where I bought my STAR Labs shirt before.


Unfortunately, I was not able to take photos of the booths, but there were some that stuck to me. I also got some of their calling cards :)

We roamed at the first half of the con and then went shopping after attending the “Encantadia” panel. We actually planned to buy geeky t-shirts, so that’s what we did :) Below are our hauls:

Except for the Encantadia shirt, that was given away by Direk Mark :D


International Guests

While the international guests were not a priority, it didn’t stop me from watching them on stage. I have to admit, Casper Van Dien is handsome, his daughter Grace is hot, and his girlfriend Jennifer Wenger is sexy. And I love that they are enjoying themselves in NexCon because they were so fun to watch on stage. They were so jolly and gullible, it was obvious that they were enjoying their stay in the con. It was really great to watch them. And of course, I did not think twice of taking their pictures when they came down the stage. It’s not always that you  see international guests/cosplayers.










Cosplayers

Of course, NexCon will not be complete without cosplayers. Actually, I think this was the part where I regretted not cosplaying in NexCon. I thought the hiatus was good, but I saw the cool cosplays in the event and I thought, “I wished I cosplayed any of my past cosplays”. I even told that to Marc and he said “I told you so”. Guess my love for the hobby will never go away. I’ll cosplay in the next event XD 

Anyway, yeah, so I saw cool cosplayers in the event. I’ll let the pictures do the talking:









Cosplay Rumble

In relation to what I mentioned above, one of the programs that I wanted to watch was the Cosplay Rumble. I still love watching cosplay contests because I want to see and admire great cosplays, especially those dedicated to pop culture. It’s I only took a few pics of the contestants, but I liked most of them.








Meeting Cosplay Friends

This is one of my greatest highlights because I saw cosplay friends who also share our love for the Western fandom. It’s funny because a lot of them were asking why we didn’t cosplay, making me regret more than I didn’t do it, LOL XD. But it was great seeing them because we have not attended a con in months. That’s actually one of the things I love with cons: we see our cosplays friends and chat with them about fandoms and other stuff. Cons are actually more fun when you are with friends. 

Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of my friends, silly me. I forgot hahahah. But I enjoyed seeing them after a long time. 



“Encantadia” Panel with Direk Marc Reyes and Noel Flores

THE REASON WHY I ATTENDED NEXCON. MY MAIN HIGHLIGHT OF THE CON. “ENCANTADIA” PANEL BY DIREK MARC REYES AND NOEL FLORES. I thank NexCon for actually doing this because they have made “Encantadia” fans very happy.

For those who don’t know:

Encantadia is a Filipino fantasy television series (locally known as telefantasya) produced by GMA Network. It was dubbed as the grandest, most ambitious, and most expensive production for Philippine television during its time of release. The pilot episode was aired on May 2, 2005.



The story unfolds in Lireo, the kingdom where Ynang Reyna (Queen Mother) Minea lives with her daughters Amihan, Alena, Danaya, and Pirena. The four Sangg'res are tasked to be the new keepers of the brilliantes. Their skills in war and their powers as the royalty of the diwatas are believed to be the strength of Lireo. As long as the gemstones are kept properly, the balance of nature in Encantadia remains. But this story tells viewers that powers can also break precious relationships as Pirena had plotted the downfall of her own sister Amihan, who won the competition for the Lirean crown, and the other Sangg'res Danaya and Alena took Amihan's side. (Wikipedia)


Basically, Encantadia is getting a new series/reboot. According to director Mark Reyes, the series that will be shown this year is a requel---a retelling of the old story with new plotlines and twists. This means that while the old fans will be seeing the old characters and story, the show is also introducing stories that we have never seen in the 2005 series. They’re going to do this to address to the new audience as well, which mostly consists of millennials. In other words, as what Direk Mark has been saying throughout the panel, “Keep an open mind!”. :D (Agree!)




Lead Visual Artist, Noel Flores, also showed the fans previews of the sets, props, costumes, and languages of the “Encantadia” world. He said that they are making the visuals more “gamified” to address new audiences. The costumes are also lighter, so the wearer can be more flexible in moving and in doing the fight scenes. I really love the new visuals and it made me more excited for the upcoming series.

















This is just a summary of the panel. I’ll be doing a separate post about my love for “Encantadia” and about my reaction on the panel. I’ll just leave you with the pictures above.


Conclusion

All in all, Day 2 of NexCon was great---it was worth the P350 ticket. Just like in their first and second year, they did a wonderful job in coming up with programs and activities that made fans happy. Cosplay.ph even brought international guests. I am looking forward to NexCon 4, with things getting bigger.


~Hainrihi


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Were you able to attend NexCon 3 last weekend? What are your main highlights? Let me know by commenting below. You can also get in touch with me through my Facebook and Twitter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

My Blog List