Movie Review: "Eclipse"

10:46 PM

I was one of the people who watched "Eclipse" on its first weekend of showing, despite still having a hard time walking, because I wanted to see if it was as good as they promoted it to be. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed that I liked "New Moon" more than "Eclipse".

First off, I'm a book lover and have religiously read the "Twilight" series. So, turning the book into a movie may leave a book lover like me disappointed if he/she expects too much from the movie. Ever since Hollywood went into the trend of turning books into movies (one of the first being "Harry Potter"), I learned not to expect anything grand, let alone for the movie to stay true to the book. Book-to-movie adaptations NEVER stay true to the book, and I have learned to live with that. But despite that thought in my head, "Eclipse" still left me disappointed than "New Moon" and here are some of my reasons.


"Eclipse" is the least of my favorite in the "Twilight" series, and I was practically bored when I was reading it. For one thing, it had little action until only the later part of the book. The same goes for the movie. It was more of talkies than action, which made me a bit bored by it. Plus, not much Volturi! They're part of my list of favorite villains and they do not appear much in the movie! :(

Second, I do not know if it was just me, but I think Summit Media put a lot of hype in promoting "Eclipse" that it was almost practically everywhere with their trailers and 5 banner character posters. I admit that I became excited when I saw those posters and even made an article about them on one of my freelance jobs. Maybe for just a moment, I had the thought that the movie might replace the boredom that I felt when I read the book. I guess, somehow, the movie followed most of the details of the book that it was nothing new to me.

But, despite disappointment being over the movie for me, I admit that there are a few parts in the movie that I truly liked. For one thing, I was happy that the love triangle of Edward-Jacob-Bella was definitely on in the movie. I practically loved the parts when the two boys were fighting over Bella. The camping part was my favorite, where Jacob had to wrap a freezing and chattering Bella around his body because he was way "hotter" than Edward. :D Points for Team Jacob! :D Of course, the action scene was quite good too.

All in all, I was a bit disappointed by the movie, but this does not stop me from looking forward to the last installment "Breaking Dawn", which will be divided into 2 parts. Well, that would be good as there a lot of things in the book that cannot be discussed in a 2 1/2 hour movie.

This time though, I really should learn not to expect and not go with the hype.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

My Blog List