Book Review: “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins

9:56 AM


After many years of looking at this book in bookstores and not being able to buy it, I finally read “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins---and it was worth the wait! The first time I saw it in 2009, it was in hardbound and very expensive. Recently though, I found the UK cover online and loved it. It had Katniss on the cover that gave me a glimpse of what she looks like. Since the UK version is not available here, I bought it online. From then on, I couldn’t stop reading! If there wasn’t any work and sleep, I’d read it all the way!

Summary: “The Hunger Games” is set in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood and a powerful government and city, the Capitol, rules it. Every year, Panem holds the Hunger Games that is televised for all the twelve districts to watch. The Capitol picks one boy and one girl in each district as tributes to the games and fight to the death until ONLY ONE is left alive. In this case, Katniss is the girl tribute from District 12 because she volunteered to take her little sister’s place, while Peeta Mellark is the boy tribute. Thus starts their adventures in the 74th Hunger Games.

Review: The reviews were right when they said this book is amazing because I can’t stop reading it! There were times I slept late just so I can continue reading it until my eyes drooped. Since it’s narrated by the female protagonist, Katniss, I see an in-depth look of what a tribute experiences before, during and after the Hunger Games---from going to the Capitol to the preparations to the game itself in the arena. And since it’s also a reality TV show, every move the tributes make are closely watched by the audience. I feel I’m one of the audiences though I only see Katniss’ point-of-view of what’s happening around her.

One thing I like: Katniss is a girl who kicks ass and is cunning when it comes to fighting for survival, instead of the damsel-in-distress kind of girl. She’s not somebody you should cross, and if you do, prepare yourself. But this doesn’t mean she’s strong all throughout. Just like any person, she has a hard time dealing with her own weaknesses, especially when it comes to her feelings for fellow District 12 tribute, Peeta Mellark and childhood friend, Gale Hawthorne. She may not be a damsel-in-distress girl, but when it comes to love, she’s as confused as ever. No “falling in love easily” and “playing hard to get”. Maybe that’s how kick-ass girls work: always confused when it comes to love. But that’s what makes Katniss unique from other girls.

I won’t spoil it all here, but when it came to the game itself, I was very shocked. I know it’s a fight to the death, but I never knew it would be literally THAT! Blood, gore, violence---you name it. The Hunger Games have all the brutal things you can think of. In the end, you’ll see how brutal the Capitol can get when it came to dictatorship and ruling Panem.
All in all, it was a VERY great read! I never got this hyped since Harry Potter. Well, I was bit hyped with Twilight but not as HYPED as the wizard boy. “The Hunger Games” is an amazing novel that I feel I’ll be in it for years---especially when the movie adaptation comes out next year. I started reading the book though before I found out about the cast but I’ll save my reaction on that for another entry. I recommend this book for those who love young adult novels and are looking for a storyline that is unique and different from the normal young adult novels that we read. This novels teaches a lot of values, especially when it comes to standing up what you know is right and when it seems as though there's no justice in things anymore.
Now I can't wait to read "Catching Fire"! I'll immediately read it once it arrives here at home in May! :D

Favorite Character: Aside from Katniss, I love Peeta Mellark because of his devotion and kindness to her despite being an enemy on a game that’s a fight to the death. He has been through a lot on the game, but I won’t tell what they are. All I can say: with all those things he has done in the story, he doesn’t deserve a sad ending.

Overall Rating: 5 of 5. This book never disappointed me. J Very recommended!

Next Book Review: Still Deciding

Book I’m Reading: “Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox” by Eoin Colfer

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

My Blog List